Directed by Toby Wilkins
Tagline: “It will get under your skin.”
“A young couple retreats to the wilderness for a romantic camping weekend, but the trip quickly spirals into a nightmare when they are carjacked by an escaped convict and his girlfriend. Thrown together by chance, no one can imagine the terrifying horror that awaits the two couples at a remote and isolated gas station.”
I first heard about Splinter in a Fangoria article, I believe. But of course, most movies that I would REALLY like to see get a limited release. So, my hopes of seeing Splinter in theaters were long gone. I found it on DVD though, and if I remember correctly, it was featured on the Loot. Let’s dig in. Or dig out. Get it? Splinter jokes.
- Middle-of-nowhere gas stations are never any good.
- Awww yeah Cape Cod Chips.
- Whoa, that animal looked nuts.
- In all honesty, I do like how “Creature Design By” is in the opening credits. That’s solid.
- The contrast between the two couples was really interesting.
- A camping date on an anniversary. That’s nice I suppose.
- I would hate when someone called me “Cowgirl” too.
- This is nerve-racking.
- Sid would not be able to drive stick.
- That must be the most terrifying and awkward car ride..
- He got a splinter! I hope they say it in the movie. I love when they say the title.
- Oh my god why is that road kill moveeeeee.
- Lacey is such a crackhead.
- WHATTTT?!?!?! The gas station attendant is done for…
- I wish I could tell how these creatures actually moved. That first attack the camera was all shaky and I didn’t really understand the movements.
- Why are his splinters growing?!
- It’s that hand from the Addams Family!
- If she breaks the glass I’m gonna flip.
- I hate emotionless rambles.
- You know, at least there’s a biology student as a hostage.
- This is intense.
- If someone came into this movie right now without any knowledge of it, they would probably think it was the most ridiculous movie about killer hands.
- I’m not about amputation. I’m not about that.
- “You can’t change a tire, but fuck if you can’t chop off an arm.”
- Heart-to-hearts in the freezer are solid.
- What did they do with the severed arm?
- It’s like they’re looking for an insect or a mouse right now, they’re banging all the stuff on the shelves and under the counter.
- This is so sad 😦 I hate sacrifice.
- I literally just yelled, “come on” to the TV. And by that I don’t mean a “come on this is stupid.” I meant a “COME ON GET IN THE CAR THE CREATURE’S COMING!”
- I’m glad there was at least one good shot of the creature.
I don’t only watch movies that are really crappy, okay? I enjoy a good movie every once in a while. And this was a good movie. I’d even say an awesome movie. A simple production with few actors and a great story. The thing that I didn’t like was that you could never fully see the creature. It reminded me of Cloverfield in a way because you never saw it in full. And as scary as shaky camera is, I would think that still camera with the jerky movements of the action would be scarier. But these things didn’t take too much away from this suspenseful horror movie. I enjoy simple movies like this. It was intense too; it was a solid film. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a new and good horror film.